Science & technology
for a better life
Journal Articles (Peer-reviewed articles)
2. Feril LB Jr, Kondo T, Umemura S, Tachibana K, Manalo AH, Riesz P. Sound waves and antineoplastic drugs: the possibility of an enhanced combined anticancer therapy. Journal of Medical Ultrasonics 2002; 29:173-87
4. Feril LB Jr, Kondo T, Zhao QL, Ogawa R, Tachibana K, Kudo N, Fujimoto S, Nakamura S. Enhancement of ultrasound-induced apoptosis and cell lysis by echo-contrast agents. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 2003; 29:331-7
5. Feril LB Jr, Kondo T, Takaya K, Riesz P. Enhanced ultrasound-induced apoptosis and cell lysis by a hypotonic medium. International Journal Radiation Biology, 2004; 80:165-175
6. Feril LB Jr, Tsuda Y, Kondo T, Zhao QL, Ogawa R, Cui ZG, Tsukada K, Riesz P. Ultrasound-induced killing of monocytic U937 cells enhanced by 2,2'azobis (2-amidinopropane) dihydrochloride. Cancer Science 2004; 95:181-5.
7. Feril LB Jr, Kondo T. Major factors involved in the inhibition of ultrasound-induced free radical production and cell killing by pre-sonication incubations and by high cell density. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry 2005; 12:353-357F.
8. Feril LB Jr, Ogawa R, Kobayashi H, Kikuchi H, Kondo T. Ultrasound enhances liposome-mediated gene transfection. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry 2005; 12:489-493.
9. Feril LB Jr, Kondo T, Cui Z-G, Tabuchi Y, Zhao Q-L, Hidetaka A, Misaki T, Yoshikawa H, Umemura S, Apoptosis induced by the sonomechanical effects of low intensity pulsed ultrasound in a human leukemia cell line. Cancer Letters 2005; 221:145-152
10. Feril LB Jr, Kondo T. Biological effects of low intensity ultrasound: the mechanism involved, and its implications on therapy and on biosafety of ultrasound. Journal of Radiation Research 2004; 45:479-489
11. Feril, LB Jr, Kondo, T Ultrasound liberates nitric oxide (NO) from the caged NO compound N,N'-bis(carboxymethyl)-N,Nf-dinitroso-p-phenylenediamine sodium salt. Ultrason. Sonochem. 2006; 13:397-400.
12. Li FJ, Kondo T, Zhao QL, Hayashi Y, Ogawa R, Cui ZG, Feril LB Jr. A lipophilic free radical initiator, 2,2f-azobis (2,4-dimethylvaleronitrile) (AMVN) enhances caspase-dependent apoptosis induced by hyperthermia. International Journal of Hyperthermia 2003; 19:165-77.
13. Nozaki T, Ogawa R, Feril LB Jr, Kagiya G, Fuse H, Kondo T. Enhancement of ultrasound-mediated gene transfection by membrane modification. J Gene Med 2003; 5:1046-55.
14. Cui ZG, Kondo T, Ogawa R, Feril LB Jr. Zhao QL, Wada S, Arai T, Makino K. Enhancement of radiation-induced apoptosis by 6-formylpterin. Free Radical Research, 2004; 38:363-373.
15. Honda H, Kondo T, Zhao QL, Feril LB Jr, Kitagawa H. Role of intracellular calcium ions and reactive oxygen species in apoptosis induced by ultrasound. Ultrasound Med Biol 2004; 30:683-92.
16. Hayashi Y, Kondo T, Zhao QL, Ogawa R, Cui ZG, Feril LB Jr, Teranishi H, Kasuya M. Signal transduction of p53-independent apoptotic pathway induced by hexavalent chromium in U937 cells.Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 2004; 197: 96-106.
17. Ogawa R, Kagiya G, Feril LB Jr, Nakaya N, Nozaki T, Fuse H, Kondo T. Ultrasound mediated intravesical transfection enhanced by treatment with lidocaine or heat. J Urology 2004; 172:1469-1473.
18. Cui Z-G, Kondo T, Feril LB Jr, Waki K, Inanami O, Kuwabara M. Effects of antioxidants on X-ray- or hyperthermia-induced apoptosis in human lymphoma U937 cells. Apoptosis 2004; 9:757-763.
19. Hirano H, Tabuchi Y, Kondo T, Zhao Q-L, Ogawa R, Cui Z-G, Feril LB Jr, Kanayama S. Analysis of gene expression in apoptosis of human lymphoma U937 cells induced by heat shock and the effects of PNB and its derivatives. Apoptosis 2004; 10:331-40.
20. Kagiya G, Ogawa R, Tabuchi Y, Feril LB Jr, Nozaki T, Fukuda S, Yamamoto K, Kondo T. Expression of heme oxygenase-1 due to intracellular reactive oxygen species induced by ultrasound. Ultrason. Sonochem. 2006; 13:388-96.
21. Kagiya G, Tabuchi Y, Feril LB Jr, Ogawa R, Zhao Q-L, Kudo N, Hiraoka W, Tachibana K, Umemura S, Kondo T. Confirmation of enhanced expression of heme oxygenase-1 gene induced by ultrasound and its mechanism: analysis by cDNA microarray system, real-time quantitative PCR, and western blotting. J Med Ultrasonics 2006; 33:3-10.
22. Hiraoka W, Honda H, Feril LB Jr, Kudo N, Kondo T. Comparison between sonodynamic effect and photodynamic effect with photosensitizers on free radical formation and cell killing. Ultrason. Sonochem. 2006; 13:535-42
23. Ando H., Feril LB Jr, Kondo T, Tabuchi Y, Ogawa R, Zhao QL, Cui ZG, Umemura S, Yoshikawa H, Misaki T. A echo-contrast agent, Levovist, lowers the ultrasound intensity required to induce apoptosis of human leukemia cells. Cancer Lett. 2006; 242:37-45.
24. Cheng C, Tsuneyama K, Zheng H, Oya T, Cui Z, Feril LB Jr, Takano Y. Enhanced scavenging of lipid substances is a possible effect of corticosteroids in the treatment of cholesterol crystal embolism. Pathol Res Pract. 2006; 202:591-8.
25. Feril LB Jr, Ogawa R, Tachibana K and Kondo T. Optimized ultrasound-mediated gene transfection in cancer cells. Cancer Science 2006; 97:1111-4.
26. Tabuchi Y, Ando H, Takasaki I, Feril LB Jr, Zhao Q-L, Ogawa R, Kudo N, Tachibana K, and Kondo T. Identification of genes responsive to low intensity pulsed ultrasound in a human leukemia cell line Molt-4. Cancer Lett 2007 (Feb) 246 (1-2):149-56.
27. Yoshida T, Kondo T, Ogawa R, Feril LB Jr, Zhao QL, Watanabe A, Tsukada K. Combination of doxorubicin and low-intensity ultrasound causes a synergistic enhancement in cell killing and an additive enhancement in apoptosis induction in human lymphoma U937 cells Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2008; 61(4):559-67
28. Feril LB Jr, Kondo T, Tabuchi Y, Ogawa R, Zhao Q-L, Nozaki T, Yoshida T, Kudo K, and Tachibana K. Biomolecular effects of low intensity ultrasound: apoptosis, sonotransfection and gene expression. Japanese Journal of Applied Physics 2007; 46 (7B):4432-4029. Salunga TL, Tabuchi Y, Takasaki I, Feril LB Jr, Zhao Q-L, Ohtsuka K, Tsuneyama K and Kondo T.Identification of genes responsive to paeoniflorin, a heat shock protein-inducing compound, in human leukemia U937 cells. International Journal of Hyperthermia 2007; 23(6):529-37.
30. Danno D, Kanno M, Fujimoto S, Feril LB Jr, Kondo T and Nakamura S. Effects of ultrasound on apoptosis induced by anti-CD20 antibody in CD20-positive B lymphoma cells. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry 2007; 15(4):463-7131. Ahmed K, Zhao Q-L, Matsuya Y, Yu DY, Feril LB Jr, Nemotot H, Kondo T. Rapid and transient intracellular oxidative stress due to novel macrosphelides trigger apoptosis via Fas/caspase-8-dependent pathway in human lymphoma U937 cells. Chem Biol Interact. 2007; 170(2):86-9
33. Tabuchi Y, Takasaki I, Zhao QL, Wada S, Hori T, Feril LB Jr, Tachibana K, Nomura T, Kondo T. Genetic networks responsive to low-intensity pulsed ultrasound in human lymphoma U937 cells.Cancer Lett 2008; 270(2):286-294
34. Ogawa R, Lee S, Izumi H, Kagiya G, Yoshida T, Watanabe A, Morii A, Kakutani S, Kondo T,Feril LB Jr, Ishimoto T. Enhancement of artificial promoter activity by ultrasound-induced oxidative stress. Utrason Sonochem 2008; 16(3):379-386.
35. Hassan MA, Feril LB Jr, Suzuki K, Kudo N, Tachibana K, Kondo T. Evaluation and comparison of three novel microbubbles: Enhancement of ultrasound-induced cell death and free radicals production. Ultrasonics Sonochmistry 2008; 16(3):372-8 .
36. Feril LB Jr, Tachibana K, Ogawa K, Yamaguchi K, Solano I, Irie Y. Therapeutic potential of low-intensity ultrasound (part 1): thermal and sonodynamic effects. J. Medical Ultrasonics 2008; 35:153-6037. Feril LB Jr, Tachibana K, Ikeda-Dantsuji Y, Endo H, Harada Y, Kondo T, Ogawa R. Therapeutic potential of low-intensity ultrasound (part 2): biomolecular effects, sonotransfection, and sonoporation. J. Medical Ultrasonics 2008; 35: 161-67.
38. Yamaguchi K, Feril LB Jr, Harada Y, Endo H, Irie Y, Nakayama J, Tachibana K.Growth inhibition of neurofibroma by ultrasound-mediated interferon gamma transfection J. Medical Ultrasonics 2009; 36: 3-8
39. Buldakov MA, Hassan MA, Zhao Q-L, Feril LB Jr, Kudo N, Kondo T, Litvyakov NV, Bolshakov MA, Rostov VV, Cherdyntseva NV, Riesz P. Influence of Changing Pulse Repetition Frequency on Chemical and Biological Effects Induced by Low Intensity Ultrasound In-vitro. Ultrasonics Sonochmistry 2009; 16: 392-7
40. Watanabe A, Kakutani S, Ogawa R, Lee S, Yoshida T, Morii A, Kagiya G, Feril LB Jr, Fuse H, Kondo T. Construction of artificial promoters sensitively responsive to sonication in vitro. J. Medical Ultrasonics 2009; 36(1):9-17
41. Kondo T, Yoshida T, Ogawa R, Hasaan MA, Furusawa Y, Zhao QL, Watanabe A, Morii A, Feril LB Jr, Tachibana K, Kitagawa H, Tabuchi Y, Takasaki I, Shehata MH, Kudo N, Tsukada K. Low-intensity ultrasound adjuvant therapy: The enhancement of doxorubicin-induced cytotoxicity and the acoustic mechanisms involved. J Medical Ultrasonics 2009; 36:61-68
42. Feril LB Jr, Tachibana K, Kondo T, Ogawa R, Zhao QL, Yamaguchi K, Ogawa K, Endo H, Irie Y, Harada Y. Hypotonia-induced cell swelling enhances ultrasound-induced mechanical damage on cancer cells. J Medical Ultrasonics 2010; 37:3-8
43. Hassan MA, FerilLB Jr, Kudo N, Tachibana K, Kondo T and Riesz P. The sonochemical and biological effects of three clinically-used contrast agents. Japanese Journal of Applied Physics 2010; 49 (7s)44. Ikeda-Dantsuji Y, Feril LB Jr, Tachibana K, Ogawa K, Endo H, Harada Y, Suzuki R, Maruyama K. Synergistic Effect of Ultrasound and Antibiotics against Chlamydia trachomatis-infected Human Epithelial cells in vitro. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry 2011; 18(1):425-30
49. Yamaguchi K, Feril LB Jr, Tachibana K, Takahashi A, Matsuo M, Endo H, Harada Y, Nakayama J. Ultrasound-mediated interferon beta gene transfection inhibits growth of malignant melanoma. BBRC 2011; 411(1):137-42
50. Ogawa R, Morii A, Watanabe A, Cui Z-G, Kagiya G, Doi N, Zhao Q-L, Feril LB Jr. An artificially constructed radiation responsive promoter is activated by doxorubicin. Cancer Gene Therapy 2012; 19(5):345-51
51. Ogawa R, Morii A, Watanabe A, Cui Z-G, Kagiya G, Fukuda S, Kume K, Hasegawa T, Hatashita M, Izumi H, Ishimoto T, Feril LB Jr.@Regulation of gene expression in retrovirus vectors by X-ray and proton beam radiation with artificially constructed promoters. J Gene Medicine 2012; 14:316-27
53. Ogawa R, Morii A, Watanabe A, Cui ZG, Kagiya G, Kondo T, Doi N, Feril LB Jr. Regulation of gene expression in human prostate cancer cells with artificially constructed promoters that are activated in response to ultrasound stimulation.Ultrasonics Sonochemistry 2013; 20:460-754. Ogawa R, Morii A, Watanabe A, Cui ZG, Kagiya G, S. Fukuda, K. Kume, T. Hasegawa, M. Hatashita, H. Izumi, T. Ishimoto, Feril LB Jr. Development of a therapeutically important radiation induced promoter. Bioengineered 2013 (Jan./Feb.) 4(1):44-9
National (Japan or Philippines)
1. Feril LB Jr, Kondo T. Biological effects of low intensity ultrasound: A sound idea potentially useful for therapy. Toyama Medical Journal 2004; 15:66-71.
2. Kondo T, Li FJ, Zhao QL, Cui ZG, Ogawa R, Feril LB Jr, Hayashi Y. Enhancement of hyperthermia-induced apoptosis by free radical generators. Jpn J Cancer Clin 2002; 48:270-3. (In Japanese)
3. Ogawa R, Nozaki T, Feril LB Jr, Kagiya G, Fuse H, Kondo T. Current status of gene therapy research using ultrasound. Radiation Biology Research Communications 2003; 38: 271-285. (In Japanese)
4. Kondo T, Zhao Q-L, Cui Z-G, Feril LB Jr, Ogawa R, Fujiwara Y, Honda H, Tsuda Y, Wada S, Yuki H, Arai T, Makino K. Enhancement of radiation- and hyperthermia-induced apoptosis by excess oxidative stress. Jpn J Cancer Clin 2003; 49:13-6. (In Japanese)
5. Cui ZG, Wada S, Kondo T, Fujiwara Y, Zhao QL, Ogawa R, Nagaki Y, Shoji M, Tabuchi Y, Yuki H,Feril LB Jr. Enhancement of hyperthermia-induced apoptosis by modification of intracellular oxidative stress. Jpn. J. Hyperthermic Oncol. 2005, 21: 71-80
6. Feril LB Jr, Tachibana K. Ultrasound in medicine: To search and destroy diseased tissues. Philippine Physics J. 2006, 28, 67-72
7. Tachibana K, Feril LB Jr. Using ultrasound for drug delivery. Philippine Physics J. 2006, 28, 125-135
8. Feril LB Jr, Tachibana K, Yamaguchi K, Ogawa K, Ikeda-Dantsuji Y, Irie Y, Endo H. Bioeffects of ultrasound for therapy. Philippine Physics J. 2007, 29:1-4
9. Buldakov MA, Feril LB Jr. Dual role of low-dose ionizing radiation. Philippine Physics J. 2008, B 30:1-8
10. Moreno DC, Feril LB Jr, Tachibana K, Irie Y. Gene transfection through microbubble-aided sonication in cancer cells. Philippine Physics J. 2009, 31: 1-7.11. Feril LB Jr., Tachibana K, Kondo T. Therapeutic high intensity focused ultrasound. Philippine Physics J. 2010, 32, 47-52.
1. Feril LB Jr. Ultrasound-mediated gene transfection. Chapter 10, Gene Therapy of Cancer 2nd Edition, Methods in molecular biology, 2009, 179-194. Humana Press, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL10 9AB, UK
2. Feril LB Jr, Tachibana K, Kondo T, Campbell PA. Sonodynamic therapy. Chapter 12, Therapeutic ultrasound: mechanisms to applications. 2011, p279-295. Nova Publishing, Hauppauge NY, USA
3. Feril LB Jr., Tachibana K. Therapeutic effects of ultrasound: Physical, physiological, cellular and biomolecular mechanisms. Chapter 10 in “Cellular response to physical stress and therapeutic applications” 2013, 167-196. Nova Biomedical, New York